Paulicus Maximus

Welcome to my blog - land of the free and home of the brave!!
I'm definitely on a journey right now. For the better part of my life I thought I had it all figured out. I was walking along, enjoying life. Then about two years ago everything started to fall apart and now I have no idea where I'm headed or how to get there. I realize more each day just how little I really have figured out.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Why?

That's probably one of the more common questions in life but often the most elusive when it comes to finding an answer. Today I'm asking a "why" question which has an answer that I'm sure I could never understand, if ever God would even choose to answer it. I spent a good deal of time yesterday reading reports of Kyle Lake, the pastor of University Baptist Church in Waco, TX. From all accounts he was an incredible individual, dedicated to his calling and his people, remaining incredibly humble at the same time. Sunday, his life was lost in a freak accident in the midst of a service.

There are all kinds of questions that I could ask about that situation but the most pressing one in my mind right now is, "Why him and not me?" I'm impressed by the character of this man and the work that he was faithfully doing. The testimonies that have been shared in the past two days say so much about him. It seems unfair that God would choose to take him at this time and in this way. All the while I sit here feeling spent and used up, of little or no value to the kingdom. Coming off what could arguably be called failure in ministry it seems like God could have been more efficient or "business-savvy" by taking me instead. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the mood to be a martyr at the moment and I don't really have a death wish. I just find myself left wondering why...Of course as a good SBC-er the answer is "It's God's will, he's got a plan." I'd spout off about how so many will come to Christ through his death, blah blah blah. And maybe that's the answer, but after so many similar situations, that answer just seems more inadequate all the time.

So, since no answer is forthcoming, let me simply say that Kyle Lake will be missed by those that he loved and served. My his life be a reminder to each of us that we have been called to live out the love of Christ and not simply speak it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home