Paulicus Maximus

Welcome to my blog - land of the free and home of the brave!!
I'm definitely on a journey right now. For the better part of my life I thought I had it all figured out. I was walking along, enjoying life. Then about two years ago everything started to fall apart and now I have no idea where I'm headed or how to get there. I realize more each day just how little I really have figured out.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Requisite Life Update

I've been throwing the gauntlet down to myself for quite awhile now, trying to "self-motivate" into beginning the blog that I've sadly neglected for so long.  Unfortunately my motivational skills appear to be lacking as I've now gone more than three months without an update.

Quite honestly there have been MANY times I've wanted to say something relating to various issues or events, but it didn't really feel appropriate as the vast majority of you had no idea what was going on with me personally.  So...in order that I might free myself to blog again, I present to you this life-update.

First, I mentioned several months back that I had taken a job at OU.  I manage all the IT labs on campus and all the classroom A/V equipment.  Really, what I manage is the people that manage those things.  I guess the only thing to update you on in this arena is to let you know that I'm still loving it.  I have great bosses and co-workers.  It's a fun environment and I'm learning a great deal, which is always a good sign.

Second, I alluded to this in a previous post but was not freed up to give full disclosure, but Alicia and I are in house-building mode.  My work over the past few years for a local homebuilder has given me an appreciation for quality construction and so we are building a house (with said homebuilder) in the south Norman area.  We're really excited.  Apartment life is a drag when you're used to having your own place.  We're ready to have room to spread out, a place to host, and the ability to speak above a whisper before 9am and after 10pm.  We're still a few months out but we check on the house very regularly to make sure the work is being done right.  So far so good.  We've had a snag or two, but everything has been worked out and we'll be homeowners again in the not-to-distant future.

Finally, the biggest life-change relates to some part-time work I've taken up.  Actually, that's a really poor way to describe it.  It's so much more and yet so much less than work.  I'm currently "serving" as a youth pastor for an area church.  It's one of those places that, despite being minutes from OKC, has the feel of the country.  The people are phenomenal.  I've never felt so loved so fast.  The students I get to work with are the exact same way.  I think that within 5 minutes they had given me nickname and were freely making fun of my every action (always a good sign).  It's been challenging at times to make the transition back into ministry, but well worth it.  It's a busy time.  We've got a lock-in coming up, VBS, and we're gearing up for camp.  It'll be my first chance to take students to Falls Creek so that'll be something to watch I'm sure.  Even though I'm a lifelong Oklahoma Baptist, my Falls Creek quota is severely lacking.

So these are the things going on with me.  Hopefully, now that I've given you the polite and proper 5-minute catch-up on my life I'll be able to adequately comment on all that is going on in the world around us.  I've been moved by some things that I've seen lately.  I've been frustrated by other things.  And some things have just made me downright angry.  I want to continue to use this blog to work through the things I'm learning and how I'm growing (or not growing and should be) as a person and a follower of Christ.  While not exactly a journal, a blog has the same ability to make the ethereal or surreal become tangible and I hope that is what this place continues to be.  It's a challenge to remember what we learn instead of just letting it be a lump in our throat or a stirring in our hearts for only a moment.  And with that, welcome back into the happenings of my life.

1 Comments:

At 7/15/2007 10:11 AM, Blogger rachel said...

I about fell out of my chair when I saw you had posted! welcome back! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home