Paulicus Maximus

Welcome to my blog - land of the free and home of the brave!!
I'm definitely on a journey right now. For the better part of my life I thought I had it all figured out. I was walking along, enjoying life. Then about two years ago everything started to fall apart and now I have no idea where I'm headed or how to get there. I realize more each day just how little I really have figured out.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

The End of the Spear - My Take

On Saturday afternoon my wife and I went to see the movie "The End of the Spear." For those living under rocks this movie has created quite a controversy in the "Christian" realm because an openly homosexual actor was chosen to play the lead role. Many were talking about boycotting it because of this fact and because they felt that the presentation of the gospel was weak. I think it was just another example of Christians trying desperately to defend their bubble existence but what do I know. Anyway, I thought I would give you my take on the movie, for what it's worth.

Now, my wife and I don't usually go to movies. It's not because we're rigid fundies who think that the devil owns Hollywood. It's because they charge you the equivalent of a mortgage payment to get in and then require you to sell a kidney just to get a Coke and some popcorn, but I digress. We didn't go see this movie because we thought it would be one of excellent quality. We really went in with pretty low expectations. We primarily went to support Mart Green, one of the producers of the movie. I've had the privilege to meet him and I know enough about him to know that he is a man of integrity who has a burden for something, and to be quite honest, is willing to put his money where his mouth is.

As we watched the movie we were definitely moved by the story presented. Most of you will know about the 5 missionaries who gave their lives trying to reach a group of seemingly unreachable people. No, we were not impressed by the script or the super-incredible acting, but we were touched to see such an overwhelming display of the power of the love of God.

So, my review of the move is this. The message overpowered the sexual views of one man. I don't remember ever thinking, "Gosh, this would really be moving if it weren't for that gay actor." So you boycotting Christians can put your signs down and quit looking so foolish. Second, I question the understanding of those who didn't think that the gospel was presented. The gospel was the driving force and in my opinion it empowered an otherwise lifeless movie. Two moments in the film particularly caught my attention and I think they sum up the heart of the movie.

Semi-spoiler alert (for those few that don't already know the story)....


First, on finally finding the elusive Waodani, Steve Saint was talking about his reluctance to tell his sister about it because she would tell her superiors who would ultimately slow down the process of going in. It would take two years or more before they would be able to accomplish anything. Nate Saint simply said, "The Waodani don't have two years." I just thought that was a powerful movement. They were willing to risk their lives for these people they had never met. That line summed it up.

The second instance, and maybe even more powerful was after the missionaries had been killed. Nate Saints wife had gone into the village of the men who had killed her husband and she had taken her children. All the men had left the village and only the women remained. They found themselves surrounded by warriors for another tribe and feared for their lives. As the warriors were shouting at them in the darkness little Steve Saint asked his mom if they were going to run away. She simply said, "No." Now THAT was powerful. These people were worth their lives if that what it took. I was moved.

So, I encourage you to go see the movie. Don't go looking for the quality of Crash or some other such movie. Instead go looking for Gospel of Christ in actions, not merely words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home