Paulicus Maximus

Welcome to my blog - land of the free and home of the brave!!
I'm definitely on a journey right now. For the better part of my life I thought I had it all figured out. I was walking along, enjoying life. Then about two years ago everything started to fall apart and now I have no idea where I'm headed or how to get there. I realize more each day just how little I really have figured out.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

You've Got Mail

I guess he thinks that because I paid a billion dollars to get a degree from his institution of higher education Jerry Falwell has earned the right to add me to his right-wing propaganda spam list. Every month or so I get an e-mail reminding me to be vigilant in opposing activist judges, terrorists, and people on welfare. Yesterday was my lucky day. I got the monthly edition. It's focus was completely on the 2008 election. Forget the fact that we are in 2006, with very important elections just a few months away, we're talking about 2008. I guess he wants to try and get out in front of all the bad press that comes out each day regarding the current president and his actions while in office. In light of that Jerry wanted to let me know what type of president could win the support of the evangelical vote in 2008. As if that needed to be brought up any more. We're well aware of what the evangelical community (at least that portion that gives any credence to what Falwell says) stands for and against. Nevertheless he spells it out. First, he doesn't even bother to say that it must be a Republican candidate, he just assumes that when he mentions that no Republican can win the primaries or general election without the evangelical vote. Let me just say right now that party affiliation is largely irrelevant (or at least should be) when a Christian is seeking to vote for a potential candidate. The first fatal mistake a Christian makes is assuming that just because someone is a Republican they are more qualified or more Christ-like. According to Jerry's assumptions Billy Graham would not qualify for high office simply because he is a registered Democrat. Not that I am saying that Graham is qualified, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to disqualify him on moral or affiliational grounds. The tone of the letter is predictable. First we want someone who is fiscally conservative. Well, fiscally conservative when it comes to programs that help people. We apparently want someone fiscally wreckless when it comes to the war on terror. We must be "vigilant" in the war on terror. Just put the bill on the credit card. Our grandchildren can pay for it at the same time they are trying to dig themselves out of the awful pit we got them into by continually underfunding social security and failing to find more renewable and healthy alternative fuels. Oh, and of course, he wants to build a $10 billion 2000 mile fence along the border with Mexico in order to stem the tide of those seeking hope and relief in America. I don't deny the need for immigration reform, but when it is couched in language about protecting the America "we've enjoyed" it not only sounds elitist, it sounds incredibly un-Christlike. He makes a big push for energy independence. He thinks that we should turn the gulf coast into Swiss cheese in order to bring back $1 gasoline. It was ensure national security (certainly a high priority in Scripture) and make us worry free in our consumption of non-renewable resources. He gives tepid assent to maintaining the beauty of our country but quickly writes it off as a necessary cost to using our "God-given resources" to power our indulgent culture. He doesn't speak even a word of moderation or the gluttonous attitudes of our country. And why should he? He's convinced that he'll be in glory and 20 years and it'll be someone else's problem to deal with. He can burn all the fossil fuels he wants to power his private jet and transport his goods, we certainly won't run out while he's still around.

This is just another typical example of taking complex three-dimensional issues and turning them into hot-button talking points. I'm ALL about Mr. Falwell conveying his beliefs but I want to hear reasoned arguments, not strawmen and scare-tactics. I want him to be willing to engage others in thoughtful debate, realizing that it might be possible for his mind to be changed too. But clearly that's not going to happen. So instead we get him telling us what he knows to be right, and him condemning anyone who disagrees.

If anyone feels like I misrepresented Mr. Falwell or wants to read the e-mail in it's entirety let me know. I would be happy to forward it on. I am not afraid to let you make an informed decision, as apparently some are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home