Paulicus Maximus

Welcome to my blog - land of the free and home of the brave!!
I'm definitely on a journey right now. For the better part of my life I thought I had it all figured out. I was walking along, enjoying life. Then about two years ago everything started to fall apart and now I have no idea where I'm headed or how to get there. I realize more each day just how little I really have figured out.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Don't Forget to Repent Today

Today is Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of the period of Lent. It is also a day that is specifically set aside to remember the frailty of humanity and the need for repentence. I was reading through the Lectionary this morning, listening to the words of Joel and David as they called out for personal and corporate repentence. Both passages are often quoted but so easily glossed over in my own life. As a Southern Baptist I've never even given Lent a thought, much less attempted to apply any of the principles to my own life but since I'm currently "dating around" in the spiritual realm I decided it would be a good time to check it out. So for me today is a day of soul-searching as I consider my own frailty and sinfulness (both of which are great). I hope to carry out that soul-searching throughout the next forty days as well as trying to use this time to cultivate some of the spiritual disciplines in my own life.

I have to admit, I sort of raise an eyebrow to the thought of a "period" of discipline or repentence such as Lent is meant to be, especially when it follows the nearly sacred holiday of Mardi Gras. However, I think a time of re-focusing and re-commitment is healthy. Not to mention the fact that it's easy for me to be judgmental but if I were honest I probably couldn't even claim twenty individual days of discipline in my own life in a given year.

So...Happy Lenting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home