Paulicus Maximus

Welcome to my blog - land of the free and home of the brave!!
I'm definitely on a journey right now. For the better part of my life I thought I had it all figured out. I was walking along, enjoying life. Then about two years ago everything started to fall apart and now I have no idea where I'm headed or how to get there. I realize more each day just how little I really have figured out.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Effective Rights of Jimmy

I'm doing computer training all week in Tulsa. I'm learning "everything" there is to know about Windows Server 2003. Riveting, I know. Of course if you're a nerd like me then you actually enjoy the stuff. I'm filling my head with all the complexities of this particular Microsoft application. Now, I'm a relatively smart guy and I do really well at thinking analytically so you would think this would make pretty good sense to me. I can't tell you though how many times I've watched the demo or read the book or done the exercise and wondered, "What in the world were these people thinking when they did this, and what the heck were they smoking?" Let's just say its a bit verbose.

Today, I've been learning about the effective rights of Jimmy. You see I can implicitly deny or explicitly deny rights to Jimmy however I can only explicitly grant rights to Jimmy. Explicit grants overwrite implicit denies and explicit denies overwrite explicit grants. If Jimmy is a member of a group that has rights explicitly denied then it doesn't matter how much I grant him personally because he is DENIED! It's crazy stuff. You can apply it to files and folders and folders and files inside of folders.

This afternoon I think I'll explicitly deny Jimmy the right to go to the bathroom and explicitly grant him the right to drink a 64 oz. Coke and see what happens. Oh the God-like powers of Windows Administrators.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home