Paulicus Maximus

Welcome to my blog - land of the free and home of the brave!!
I'm definitely on a journey right now. For the better part of my life I thought I had it all figured out. I was walking along, enjoying life. Then about two years ago everything started to fall apart and now I have no idea where I'm headed or how to get there. I realize more each day just how little I really have figured out.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Random Thoughts

There are several things I've been wanting to blog about lately but I just haven't had the time or mental energy. There are at least a few things I wanted to throw out there though so this is my collection of random blog thoughts:

Sheesh, what a hard week for students. Three deadly shootings within a matter of days. And as if that's not enough they involve abuse and mental torture. My heart is in agony for families across the nation today who are feeling loss. And I just wonder what in the world is going on??

Thought number two, I repent. What am I repenting for, you ask? I'm repenting for my ignorance while doing ministry. Before I was in full time ministry I worked in "the real world" for five years. I'm not sure if I was sheltered during that time or if I learned this lesson and then forgot it but living life is hard. The whole time I was in ministry I was disappointed at what I felt was an apathetic attitude and self-centeredness that kept parents and students from giving more of their time and energy to our ministry. I always felt like church was the lowest priority for people. The truth is, 8-5 is hard. Getting all the necessary stuff done at home is hard. Juggling obligations can be daunting. And when you do have free time, what you really want is to relax and unwind with friends, not head to a service where you're going to get beat over the head by some young youth pastor who doesn't have a clue about what you're going through and won't take the time to learn. So for that I'm truly sorry. I'm sorry that I didn't seek to understand where you were coming from before I judged you. I'm sorry that I wasn't grateful for what you gave because I was so consumed by wanting more from you.

Thought number three...the November election and the main thing. A pretty important mid-term election is just around the corner. I can't say for sure what the Republican higher-ups are thinking in the way of strategy but just taking stock of recent news, blogs, and talk it has seemed to be like homosexuality would be the banner cause for the final months. What better issue to use to garner last minute support than this? It apparently threatens to destroy our families and the very moral fabric of our society. It will rally the base and get them to the polls if they believe for a minute that a Democratically controlled House or Senate will lead to more equitable rights for this group of society. Anyway, it just seems like this was the horse they wanted to ride. It might have blown up in their face this past week in light of the scandal involving Rep. Foley and several young pages. But really that's not my point. I wanted to comment on a particular piece of literature I came across last week. It was a simple tract for parents that showed them how to properly deal with the advance of homosexuality within the schools of our country. There was a lot wrong with the article but in particular one point that they made very clear was that your student should absolutely not be friends with a homosexual. They can be acquainted, but nothing more. I'm just imaging the situation when a friend gains the courage to talk to someone about thoughts and feelings they've been having that make them feel different or alienate them. They choose to open up to your student because of their life-long friendship. According to this article, what is the proper approach? Apparently the only sane response is the ending of the friendship. Something about that just doesn't seem right. And I have to wonder what Jesus, the friend of sinners, would do.

So there are some random thoughts. Sorry it's been so long since I last posted. I have more to share and hopefully I can collect my thoughts more quickly.

1 Comments:

At 10/03/2006 7:12 AM, Blogger rachel said...

ah, finally a post! Collect your thoughts, already! :) it's always great to hear from you.

I hear you on the school drama this week. Gosh, it makes me so glad my kids will never go to school in the USA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home