Paulicus Maximus

Welcome to my blog - land of the free and home of the brave!!
I'm definitely on a journey right now. For the better part of my life I thought I had it all figured out. I was walking along, enjoying life. Then about two years ago everything started to fall apart and now I have no idea where I'm headed or how to get there. I realize more each day just how little I really have figured out.

Friday, June 09, 2006

I'm a Geek

So I thought I would devote a post to giving myself props for my true geek-ness. It's been a rather successful couple of weeks for this tech-nerd. I completed my first Novell to Windows migration. It was a network of approximately 75 computers. I am now a full-fledged Microsoft lackey. I thought about bucking the system and running Linux or a newer version of Novell, but in the end the power of the evil empire was just too great to resist and so the Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System is a officially a Microsoft shop. I also just finished downloading the public beta version of Microsoft Vista, the new operating system due out next year and I'm really, really, really excited about it. I've seen some demos and screenshots and it looks pretty tight (whatever that means). I think it takes a computer the size of the Pentagon to run it, but apparently it's worth the cost. And finally, in a couple of weeks I'm going to Tulsa for Exchange training. Exchange is Microsoft's version of e-mail, complete with bells and whistles. That'll be fun. There's just something about getting away from the norm and learning all kinds of new stuff. Not to mention the fact that when I went to previous training in March I found Tulsa to be a really interesting city. It was my first time there and just a week confirmed my theory that Tulsa doesn't fit in Oklahoma. They're just a little too cosmopolitan for us. Maybe that's why I liked it so much.

Anyway, as I've encountered old friends recently they all want to know what I do. I'm not sure they understand exactly what I'm saying when I tell them I'm the Network Administrator for the Oklahoma Public Employees Retirement System so I thought I would translate it for them here. Basically it's summed up best by saying, "I'm a geek."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home