Paulicus Maximus

Welcome to my blog - land of the free and home of the brave!!
I'm definitely on a journey right now. For the better part of my life I thought I had it all figured out. I was walking along, enjoying life. Then about two years ago everything started to fall apart and now I have no idea where I'm headed or how to get there. I realize more each day just how little I really have figured out.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

SOF/POM Struggles

So I'm sitting here on my lunch break today, eating the quality leftovers from Sunday evening's meal and I'm trying to work on a project. I'm trying to formulate some ideas regarding my personal statement of faith and philosophy of ministry. Can I just say how difficult that is? First, I've written at least three of these in the past and I would venture to say that those three particular papers have no more value today than to provide kindling for a fire to keep us warm should we ever neglect to pay our electric bill. That is because they represent so little of my current statement of faith. I've got the one from the purpose-driven, seeker-sensitive days, the one from the fundamentalist puritanical days, and the one from the Elijah complex days (Only I am left, all the others have bowed to Baal, poor, pititful me, etc). I have a feeling that the one I would write today would be the post-evangelical, post-Christian, anti-establishment, mad at the world version. And I'm equally sure that I'll think differently about a lot of things five years from now.

So I think this time I'll put a disclaimer at the bottom. Something like: **This Statement of Faith/Philosophy of Ministry is subject to change frequently and dramatically. The views expressed in this paper do not necessarily represent the views of the author or his home church and denomination. Oh, and of course, it would have to say "Any rebroadcast, re-transmission, or other use of this post, without the express written consent of Major League Baseball is strictly prohibited."

The other reason why I groan at the thought of doing this sort of thing is because I'm an incredibly pathetic writer. In comparison to the writing skills of my wife and my friend Eggroll Mama I am a featherweight. I don't know if it is because my brain moves too fast or what but I have a hard time taking the things that are in my head and putting them down in print. I know it is important because the written word has a lot better chance of surviving nuclear holocaust than does the VCR and DVD player and I want my ideas to outlive me. And so I am struggling today to write out my thoughts so that if anyone should ever pool my ravings during the various stages of my life they can say, "Yep, he's nuts, just like we thought." Speaking of which, is it sacrilegious if I actually write about the essential value of Starbucks in my evangelism section?

2 Comments:

At 10/04/2006 7:45 AM, Blogger rachel said...

I think that Starbucks is generally accepted as critical to the deepening of relationships, which in turn is critical to the furtherance of accountability and depth of one's personal walk...so I think Starbucks can make an appearance in your POM...

 
At 10/04/2006 7:49 AM, Blogger Paulicus said...

It's just a little scary sometimes how we're able to justify just about anything we want. By the way, did you like the props?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home